As Covid-19 closed offices and in-person meetups and hackathons disappeared, Andela began hosting a series of Online Technical workshops featuring engineering leaders from Andela and around the world delivering practical technical sessions. At the same time, an existing educational program, Talks at Andela, created a special session to provide tips for how engineers can succeed while working remotely.
These sessions are a great way to help Andela engineers, prospective engineers, customer teams sharpen their skills and stay up-to-date with engineering best practices. All of the workshops are free and open to anyone, each includes a question and answer session with the speaker and all are available on Andela's YouTube channel. A few highlights include:
- Clean Code and Architecture: On August 20, Jeremy Appel, VP - Software Engineering at JPMorgan Chase Zoomed in from San Francisco to lead a workshop that featured best practices for code hygiene that apply to any language, and also featured a hands-on codelab with Kotlin.
- Deep Dive Into Reactive Programming with RxJava: On August 7, Nigeria-based Mayowa Egbewunmi, Senior Software Engineer at Andela, dove deep into how to best use reactive programming to simplify concurrent operations based on his 7 years of mobile application development experience.
- Number as an Identity and Importance of Seamless User Onboarding: In May, Yogesh Singhal, Head of Product at Truecaller led a workshop from India focused on how important it is for app developers to provide a seamless onboarding experience to users, with a working session on how to deliver a frictionless number based onboarding.
- Writing Software that Scales by Default: On April 30, Andela Senior Engineer Joseph Obokpoe called in from Ghana to share time-tested approaches to crafting software designed to perform at scale automatically.
- Using Data Analytics in Product Development Lifecycle: On April 29, Muthoni Wanyoike an EiR at Africa's Talking labs, and a co-organizer of the Nairobi Women in Machine Learning Community, discussed how data analytics can be incorporated in product design with use-cases for analytics in development cycles.
With a roster of global engineering leaders as presenters, attending the live webinars is not feasible for many due to the time zones involved. The recordings offer the same content as the live events, just without the ability to interact with the speakers, providing a great way to learn best practices from senior engineering leaders from around the world.